3 Resources for Mom Writers





Up until now I haven’t been much one for podcasts (I know, I’m well aware that this sets me at odds with most of American culture these days). As a mom of two preschoolers, I have felt I didn’t have the headspace for one.more.thing. during the day.



Because children’s activities. Because laundry. Because making dinner. Because I need 40 minutes to watch Madame Secretary in the evenings.



You get it.



But that changed this spring when a former teaching colleague of mine, Karen Ford, kicked off her own podcast with the specific purpose that it be short, free, and practical for writers. This made me SO happy because I knew I needed writing support, but couldn’t figure out where to find the 5-10 hours a week most writing programs required (or that I felt I needed to put in to justify purchasing a membership).



I started in with Ford’s podcasts her first week, and after that I was hooked.



It was what I needed.



Short I can do, free I can do, and practical I’m learning to do.



In the process of learning to listen to her podcast, I came across two other online sources (Facebook and Youtube videos) that also meet the criteria for short, free, and practical. They’re brief enough that I can listen to them while making dinner or cleaning bathrooms, and practical enough that I can usually sit down and put the advice into practice the same day I listen.



Being a parent and writer is no easy juggle, and finding quality instruction and just really good encouragement isn’t just a snap to find (especially for free). I felt these three fit the bill, so if you’re a busy mom looking for writing inspiration I hope you’ll find some encouragement here (and/or add to the list in the comments below!)



Without further ado, here are three resources that for mom writers.




Created by accomplished author and writing coach Karen Alea Ford, the ethic behind Write in Ten is that Ford provides some sort of instruction for 10 minutes (give or take a few) and then the listener writes for 10 minutes. Ford features authors like Margaret Henkl, Aleena Dillon, Mary Laura Philpott, and Bree Rolfe for her guest speakers who share their wisdom and experience in ways authors of any level can appreciate. Ford also manages an active Facebook group for the podcast where writers can ask questions, interact, and get leads for article or writing opps.




If you’re a woman and a writer but have yet to come across Doyle’s writing, you’re missing out on a profound voice of our time (even if you’re not on board with all of her views). Both funny and deeply reflective, Doyle provides weekly Facebook videos with perspective on the writing life, parenting, family, cultural engagement and self-awareness. I think what I appreciate most about her style is her willingness to invite conversation on a number of issues, which of course is what writing is all about.




As an author of fiction DiCamillo is interested in wherever story is found, and she asks her followers to become deeply curious about the world around them. Her bite-sized lessons on Youtube (and we’re talking less than 5 minutes) usually include some sort of reflection or instruction, and then a very small assignment. DiCamillo faithfully reminds writers that writing is merely built one idea, one word at a time, and that stories are always all around us; we just have to learn to notice.



What other podcasts or online resources would you recommend to busy mom writers?








Comments

Popular Posts