Simple: Children


I wrote this after watching my daughter pick flowers during an excursion to a local green space soon after we began self-isolating. Inwardly I was shaky and anxious the whole time about Covid-19, but the outing itself was about as calm and peaceful as you could ask.

During the visit I watched my daughter NOT thinking about Covid-19. She was thinking about flowers. I figured I should take some notes. not because we should look away from the world around us, but because we need more than ever to give steady attention to what is important-- the flowers, the families, the loved ones, and yes, the children, right in front of us.

"Consider"

“Consider the lilies,” He said
“They do not toil or spin
Yet Solomon in all His glory
Was not like one of them.”

I considered her consideration,
All furrowed brow and wonder
With glee she raised her treasures up
From their burial from down under

I considered what she saw
And what, in turn, I saw in her
She saw beauty everywhere
I saw her lack of care

How carelessly she looked aside
Almost ignoring where I was
Absorbed only in consideration
Caring not for what might be, should be, or was

Only in the present moment
Clover her only care
That humble flower bringing pure delight
And joy enough to share

He also said, “You will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven
Unless you change and become like one of these.”
 I know I've often been so grown up
And missed the greater feast

I quietly swore to pay more attention
To her, my flower, among so many
To look for the Kingdom right before me
And consider her consideration.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts