Do the Next Simple Thing


"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." 
-Jesus, Matthew 6:28b-29.

What does one do during a pandemic crisis? Besides panic, I mean?

I'm starting to think I am to consider flowers.

Like so many others, I've had my waves of anxiety, panic, exhaustion and even depression within the last two weeks as Covid-19 has made its way across the country (and world). I have often felt helpless, wondering what in the world my place in this thing is; what exactly I am supposed to do in the midst of economic depression, healthcare overwhelm, empty grocery shelves, and daily care of two babies who must stay at home. 

I have been overwhelmed.

Good evangelical that I have been raised, I have wrestled with cosmic considerations, wondering how to do the next right thing, stressing over how my actions might impact the world for good.

I wonder what God expects of me in this time.

I have worn myself out with worry.

It took a Zoom chat (thank goodness for online resources!) to recall to me the thing we have always been called to do.

"Maybe just do what's simple," suggested my friend Kara, casually.

Simple.

I chewed on that word for a full two days. And something in my back, my heart, even my tensed gut, relaxed.

Do what is simple.

I have often heard (and loved!) the word of doing merely the next right thing, but if you're raised with any sort of self-awareness, even that mandate can come with mental, emotional and spiritual baggage. Sometimes I do not know what is exactly right. But simple? Simple I can do, and simple usually is the next right thing to do.

"Consider the lilies," suggested Jesus, simply. And birds. And children. And farmers. And trees. Most of Jesus' words are so simple, pointing us to what is simple and familiar. 

And it is what is simple that is so profound, and lovely, and good.

How does focusing on the simple, considering the simple, help us in a pandemic? I'm not quite sure (and I don't want to confuse simple with what is easy), but I think it has something to do with focusing on what is actually important, the essential things, in the face of what could possibly be a distraction.

I think focusing on what is simple can help us to keep doing the right things, which are  usually what is simple and obvious.

During this pandemic, this season, and yes! this Lent, I want to keep it simple.

Simple is good.

I'd like to keep writing on this in the coming days-- it helps me so much to process in this time. I welcome your company.







Comments

Popular Posts