REST Day 36: Coming Back to Social Media

It's Maundy Thursday. There is a deluge of rain is outside my door as I eat crackers with peanut butter and tea. 

This 40 days of Lent is nearly over, social media been given up and dutifully unused. Time is drawing near to celebrate an inexplicable, inconceivable risen Savior. 

I thought by this point I'd have this incredible epiphany dawning on my mind; that somehow I'd have some big revelation in my life that would push me forward in some way. But I honestly don't. I have a lot of gratitude for this season and what it has been, but not without some soreness and grief at its hardness.

Right now as I look ahead at the next few days I wonder: What will it all mean at Easter? Will it mean I gorge myself on social media to grab back all that I gave up this season, like so much candy? Or will I take lessons with me, a new mindset with me, that will help me better utilize it?

I felt a little heavy thinking about it today. I was in a bit of a funk and wanted nothing more to scroll furiously and distract myself from non-napping children. I thought back to all God had done for me over the past month and part of me just really really hoped that God would send another message my way, a text or a call from a friend to remind me they were thinking of me.... 

But my phone was very quiet. 

As I started silently talking to God, asking Him what this meant and apologizing for my forgetfulness of His faithfulness, I was struck by the word "maturity"-- to be grown up enough to learn from our experience and be able reproduce it. I have experienced so much grace from others this season, it will be important for me to give it back.

I started thinking about Jesus, and a verse came to mind: "The Son of Man came not be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28). This I know: Jesus the Christ was a servant first and foremost. As a His follower, my job is to follow likewise.

So this is what I'm thinking of--how will I use this attitude of service when I return to social media? Because social media, you know, seems so little about service. It's so much self-promotion and passive comparison. By its nature we are all of us measured against others in likes, shares and clicks. This is the isolating thing about social media, it seems: we are each of us constantly measuring and being measured against others, and that, as we all know, is a truly poor foundation for a relationship!

Already I've come up with ideas like prayer and intentional messaging when I think of/see people in need. I might clean out my friend list of people who I truly don't connect with, that sort of thing. But I don't know. I have a suspicion it'll probably just mean less time on altogether and more intentional writing/connections happening. Hopefully.

JOURNAL PROMPT
How about you? Are you beginning to form a game plan for what your social media presence will look like after Easter? Is there a word or verse or idea that you feel can guide you?

          





Comments

  1. My guiding verse for everything - what I read, watch, listen to, & participate in - is Philippians 4:8 - "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Being on social media is very rarely any of these things for me, so staying off is best for me.
    BUT thru social media I find out people's needs and can pray for them or fix them a meal, etc. I can also keep up with groups that I lead so I do need to be on social media some. There some lovely aspects of social media that keep me coming back. SO... My "plan" is to stay off social media during the week and only indulge on weekends. My husband and girls would really appreciate that too. But honestly I haven't missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keri! Yep, very much thinking the same thing. Even though social media is such an easy escape hatch from life's uncomfortable situations, I haven't missed the mental and emotional clutter that comes with it. I like the idea of weekends; that's a good, intentional space to start.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts