REST Day 6: Pictures from the Weekend

Hey, how was your weekend? We had sun and warmth for the first time in over a week in Middle Tennessee. It was nice to be reminded that, as in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, that spring, like Aslan, "is on the move."

I put down my laptop (and phone, for the most part) yesterday and tried to just enjoy the sun with my family. The kids dug in the mud, my husband lit a bonfire, we sat on the front porch while my daughter showed us her coloring pages. I took some pictures, and I have to admit it felt a little strange not uploading them to social media.

Have you noticed that being off social media affects how you take pictures?

I've realized since Wednesday that I often snap pics with the intention of immediately sharing online and anticipating how many likes it will get. I can pretty much guarantee that any pic of a toddler covered in mud or laughing outside will get a lot.

But lately I've been asking myself, "Why did I take that picture?" Snapping for likes and affirmations is I guess harmless enough, but I've been a little embarrassed lately to realize my intentions don't seem to go much further. Sure I keep memories and scrapbooking in mind, but while I've posted hundreds of photos on my Facebook timeline, my photo albums and the walls of my house have stayed fairly blank-- even with all of the nice professional shots we've had made since the kids were born!

So during this social media REST I'm rethinking my photo habits and trying to take photos that mean something deeply  for me, whether or not they would break the internet. And who knows? Maybe I'll be able to upload some photos to my wall-- you know, my real walls-- soon.

JOURNAL PROMPT: 
Has being off social media changed how you take pictures? Do you take more or fewer, or even DIFFERENT ones, knowing no one, or just a couple people, will see it? How about printing or framing in your home: do you think you might be more inclined to "share" photos in your own home since you're not sharing online?




Comments

  1. Being off social media has not really changed how/how often I take pictures. I like to snap and text photos to grandparents every now and then. That is always been my priority. Then, I might upload to Facebook. One thing I like to do every 3 months or so is to upload my photos to Snapfish and print them off to add to our family photo albums. It is really inexpensive...like 99 cents for 100 and then shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try Snapfish. I usually do CVS because it's so easy and close by, but it can add up!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts